It is our pleasure to release our latest Distimo Publication.
This publication covers the Apple App Store for iPad, Apple App Store for iPhone, Mac App Store, BlackBerry App World, GetJar, Google Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store, Palm App Catalog, and Windows Phone 7 Marketplace.
The major findings are:
- 96 applications have been downloaded more than 5 million times in the Google Android Market. Google Maps is the only application with more than 50 million downloads in the Google Android Market, making it the all-time most popular application in this store.
- 20% of all free applications and 80% of all paid applications have been downloaded less than 100 times in the Google Android Market worldwide to date.
- It is more challenging for developers in the Google Android Market than in the Apple App Store to monetize using a one-off fee monetization model. We found that only two paid applications have been downloaded more than half a million times in the Google Android Market worldwide to date, while six paid applications in the Apple App Store for iPhone generate the same number of downloads within a two month timeframe in the United States alone.
- Looking at just games, there are five paid games in Google Android Market with over 250,000 downloads worldwide. In the Apple App Store for iPhone ten paid games generated more than 250,000 downloads in the United States alone in two months.
- The refresh rate of top application charts is significantly higher in the Apple App Store for iPhone than in the Google Andoid Market. During the month of April, there were 94 distinct applications with a top 10 (free or paid) position in the Apple App Store for iPhone in the US; there were only 26 distinct applications that reached a top 10 position in the Google Android Market.
You can now download this publication.
The press kit including all image files is also available.Hendrik Koekkoek