It is our pleasure to release our latest Distimo Report.
This report covers the Apple App Store for iPad, the Apple App Store for iPhone, BlackBerry App World (worldwide), Google Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store, Palm App Catalog and Windows Marketplace for Mobile for July 2010 in the United States. The major findings are:
- The average price of the 100 most popular applications in Google Android Market and Palm App Catalog is higher than the average price of the entire catalogue of applications.
- While the average price of all applications is only 16% higher in the Apple App Store for iPad than in the Apple App Store for iPhone, the average price of the 100 most popular applications is nearly three times as high in the Apple App Store for iPad.
- More than 60% of applications are priced below or equal to $2.00 in the Apple App Store for iPhone, Google Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store and Palm App Catalog.The proportion of applications priced below or equal to $2.00 is much lower in the Apple App Store for iPad and Windows Marketplace for Mobile.
- Paid applications are priced lowest in Google Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store and Palm App Catalog.
- Google Android Market has the largest share of free applications available; 60%, representing an increase of 3% since May 2010 when it was 57%.The share of free applications is smallest on Windows Marketplace for Mobile (22%), followed by the Apple App Store for iPad (26%) and BlackBerry App World (26%).
- The top three cross-store publishers that publish applications in multiple stores are Gameloft, Electronic Arts and Handmark, Inc.
- In the Apple App Store for iPad, BlackBerry App World and Windows Marketplace for Mobile, the respective companies that run each application store, (Apple, Research In Motion and Microsoft) are the top publishers in their own store with only a limited number of applications. Clickgamer.com and Offscreen publish many popular games in the Apple App Store for iPhone and Nokia Ovi Store making them the top publishers in these stores.
- The top grossing publisher in the Apple App Store for iPhone is Electronic Arts, which publishes free and paid applications as well as applications with in-app purchases.
You can download the report for free here.
Remco van den Elzen
GigaOM Developer Survey
GigaOM is conducting a developer survey, in partnership with Distimo. If you are interested to participate, please go the survey.